Health & Safety

The NYU Student Health Center and the Department of Public Safety work closely with program staff to plan for safe, healthy, and enriching opportunities long before you arrive. You will be introduced to many of these services in the months leading up to your program abroad while others will be explained in detail during the mandatory on-site orientation.

Get a head start on familiarizing yourself with global health and wellness resources by visiting the NYU Student Health Center website. Click here for information specifically about Paris Health & Wellness.

Health & Safety FAQs

  • Does NYU Provide International Health Insurance?

Yes, all students studying away on an NYU Global Program are automatically enrolled in international health insurance. This will occur shortly before departure.

  • Do I need to maintain my home insurance?

You MUST maintain your domestic health insurance when studying away with NYU. The International Health Insurance provided by NYU covers you ONLY outside the U.S. while participating in the program, so if for any reason you needed to go home for care you want to make sure there are no gaps in your coverage.

  • What kind of coverage does the NYU International Insurance provide?

For the details of the international insurance plan, including medical evacuation, please see here. For any questions about your coverage, please contact

  • What if I need counseling while abroad?

While studying abroad is an incredible experience, it often takes time to adjust to a new culture, living arrangements, food, language and submersion into the unfamiliar. Some students feel overwhelmed, others homesick. Some afraid, others depressed. You may periodically feel out of sorts. In Paris, you will have an onsite psychologist, Dr. Cynthia Mitchell, who is available for free and confidential individual counseling and who can provide referrals to outside counselors if needed. If you decide to see an outside counselor, your international health insurance should cover the cost for your mental health care needs so that you do not have to pay out of pocket for counseling services. If you have questions or to plan ahead before your departure, contact

If you currently attend counseling or see a therapist regularly, consider the following:

  • Check in with Cynthia Mitchell when you arrive in Paris or send her an email in advance to schedule an appointment
  • If you are considering taking a hiatus from treatment, check in with Cynthia once so that you will know one another in the event that you need counseling while you are away.

If you are presently taking prescribed psychotropic medication:

  • You must meet with your prescribing physician to discuss
  • Receiving enough medication to last until you return. (Note: For some conditions and some medications, this is not possible)
  • In Paris, Cynthia Mitchell can provide a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor abroad who will follow you and write prescription refills. Note that prescriptions from American doctors cannot be filled abroad.
  • Having the prescription and the generic make up available and translated into the language of the country where you are studying abroad.
  • If you know you will need medication, get it before you leave, or contact NYU’s the Wellness Exchange at +1-212-443-9999. Counselors will be able to put you in contact with the appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor.

If you have questions or concerns, contact the Wellness Exchange at 212-443-9999; e-mail us at or check our web page at

  • Do I need personal property insurance?

While it’s not mandatory that you purchase personal property insurance for your semester abroad, we strongly recommend that you consider it before your semester begins, particularly if you are bringing electronics with you or if you plan on traveling.

Information on the CSI Insurance Agency, a company that provides personal property/effects insurance for you while abroad if you select to undertake coverage, is included here. This is the same company that offers a similar policy for students personal items on the NYU campus in New York.

Questions about this coverage should be directed to CSI Insurance Agency directly.